If you don’t have the time or money to go to your local barbers’ but need a good beard trim, you can learn to do it yourself! I’m going to teach you how you can trim your own beard at home like a pro.
Before we begin, make sure you have the following tools handy:
– A good quality clipper
– A beard comb
– Beard wax/oil
1. First of all, we need to make sure that we are working with a clean beard. So it is best to trim your beard after a shower. Once it’s dry, you want to take your comb and start combing through your beard to undo any tangles you might have.
2. We will begin trimming the sides of the face first. You want to grab your clipper (use the highest guard if you are a beginner and once you feel more confident you can move down a grade each time), and then comb the hairs on the sides of the face outwards so that you can spot any inconsistencies in length. Once you are ready, you can use your clippers to trim down the width of the beard.
Note: You can use your comb to measure how much hair you want to take off.
3. Once you have finished trimming both vertical sides, you want to start trimming the bottom of your beard by trimming horizontally. When trimming this part of the beard, it is best to use a low guard (or no guard). Trim off your desired length and then turn your trimmer diagonally to trim the corners for a smoother outline.
Note: You can use your comb here again to help you measure, it is your best friend.
4. Next, we can move onto trimming your moustache. Using your comb and your clippers (no guard), you want to take off enough hair so that it is no longer covering your lips.
5. Finally, you want to finish off your trim by using your scissors to take off any stray hairs for that added detail. Using your comb again, comb your hairs outwards and then trim any out of place strands.
6. Taking only a little bit of wax or oil, and then rubbing them in between your hands, you want to run it through your beard and style. Be careful not to use too much!
So there you have it, an easy guide to how you can trim your beard without going to the barbers. It will take practice to perfect this but the results will pay off.